Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Half-Life 2 Offers Revealed!
HL Fallout has received word from Valve's Gabe Newell revealing the much anticipated Half-Life 2 retail and Steam (info) packages. Also revealed, the full version of CS:Source will be available to Steam purchasers next week!The Half-Life 2 offers have been finalized. Details are pasted below. The Steam offers will be available for purchase next week. Those who purchase via Steam, will receive the final version of Counter-Strike: Source immediately. Half-Life 2 and other games in the Steam offerings will be made available to purchasers upon their release.

Retail Boxes
Standard Edition — includes HL2 and CS:Source. Ships on six CDs, in one of three box-art packages (Gordon, Alyx or the G-Man).

Collector's Edition — includes Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source, a Half-Life 2 T-shirt and a Prima book sampler. Ships on a single DVD.

Steam Packages
Bronze — HL2* and CS:Source.

Silver — HL2*, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source*, Day of Defeat: Source*, Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam.

Gold — HL2*, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source*, Day of Defeat: Source*, Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam, Complete Strategy Guide from Prima Games, 3 different Half-Life 2 posters, Half-Life 2 hat, Half-Life 2 postcard, Half-Life 2 stickers, Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD, Chance to win a trip to Valve! (1 trip offered for every 5000 Gold packages purchased).

*To be made available upon product's release.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
No prices announced yet for the Steam stuff. Seems like Valve is trying to screw over Vivendi by releasing CS:S over Steam since Vivendi only has a problem with HL2 over Steam.

You are going to have to pay full price for whatever Steam package you get. You will get access to the stuff as it is released.

Problem I see happening is that Vivendi gets super pissed and sits on HL2 for 6 months as ther contractualy can due to this stunt by Valve.

Got to admit Valve has balls doing this.
Bleh.. the only decent package is Steam Gold.

I'll get the collector's edition.. just so much extra crap for no reason. Can't they at least have an "All games, no filler" package?
Ok so this proves that DOD: Source you will have to pay for it eventually. YOu can pay for it now and get it later or wait and buy it later. That makes me mad...:angry:
From what I am reading the reasons DOD Source is not in the retail packages are:

A: It's not done yet (obviously)

B: Activision holds the rights to DOD on disk. They were the publishers for the original DOD retail version so when it does come out on disk it would be seperate purchase.

They can put it out on Steam with no problems since they don't have to deal with any publisher issues.

None of this is a total surprise as they have said all along that it would no longer be free. I would expect the same thing when TFC gets the Source treatment. CS Source was originally going to be a seperate purchase until recently when they decided to include it with HL2.

In reality I guess they had to include it since HL2 has no multiplayer option.
So pretty much get ready to start dishing out a lot of money, hopefully they put the mods at a much cheaper price.
Well you are only going to have to pay for mods that Valve owns. 3rd party mods are still going to be free.
keep in mind valve owns rico....or atleast somehow has the rights to it...actaully i dont know the origin of ricochet...was it some third party mod that valve took over cause they liked or did valve make it first and then let some 3rd party take it or was it open source or what? cake guys any help?
I could not see them charging for Rico. Unless they do some total overhaul of the game and add a bunch of stuff. With the small fanbase it has they would not profit anything off of it if they kept it "as is".

I certainly would not pay for it if they wasn't a significant change when ported to Source.