Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texture Question and Client.dll
Is it possible to change the textures on the client side of ricochet? I was trying to get rid of the blue pad texture and replace it with either a red or green.

Or change the blue disc color because I have problems with blue :P?

I tried changing the disc color through the disc models and I tried changing the ricochet.wad and replaced the blue textures, but it looks like the map contains the texture and ricochet.wad is not necessarily used.

Is it possible?

Oh while I was viewing models I couldnt but help notice pow_curve(a soccer ball) and pow_visual(a wrapped present).
<@Miagi> !8 Am I spamming?
<@ChanServ> Miagi: Yes.
<@Miagi> !8 Should I stop?
<@ChanServ> Miagi: Oh, please, PLEASE, make it stop!

Textures can be contained directly in the map or referenced in the wad file. If the texture you are trying to change is in the map, changing the wad won't help. Also, if you actually change it in the map and save it, it probably won't work either because the server/client does a comparison, similar to the check the server does with the client.

This is to prevent people from replacing textures in maps with textures that you could see through in your client but everyone else would not.
you could test with another map not containing the textures...
Well, I'm INVISIBLE AGAIN ... I might as well pay a visit to the LADIES ROOM ...
Without ice cream life and fame are meaningless.
[Image: stoned.jpg]
As evil said if the textures in the map your outa luck...if it uses the wad file as a reference then yes you can just replace the texture (i used to play de_dust with every wall pure white)...and no evil...you can not change a texture to see through a wall since see through walls need to be entities...you could change the texture of a partialy transparent wall to something that would let you see through with less of a distraction but even then it will still be only semi transparent. just an afterthought...maybe its possible if you use ripent to edit the entities you could change the .wads the map uses...i dunno...id try it if i could but cant so i wont.
does the server actually check the contents of the file, or does it check the filesize?

If you got that texture into a editor, JUST changed the color, and made sure the filesizes were the same it might not matter.

Or, you can change the hue setting for Direct X:P
what file are you talking about? if your talking about the .wad file then the server only checks to see if you have it since it´s required to run the map..if you dont you get an error message and halflife quits. You can rename an empty .wad file as the one you need for a map and the onl ythin gthat will happen is that the textures appear as checkboxes. and i have no idea what your talking about for the color.

This thing has gotten me thinking about the steam ricochet thing. In the folder with the .GCF files could you just put a ricochet folder there? or maybe even a .PAK file? or does that folder ONLY look for gcf files. Im thinking if this works you wouldn´t need to make ricochet a 3rd party mod hence making it easier to join games.
Map files are checked for something more than just if they exist and the size. There have been instances where a map was updated or somehow changed and I was not able to go into the server. There may be some type of checksum. In my early HLDM days I thought it would be interesting to rename my boot_camp map to datacore and see what would happen...of course I was not permitted to join.

The .GCF files are the Steam version of the .PAK file. They include the wads, models, maps, server and client dlls, etc. However, it seems if one puts a file in the directory structure that is included in the .GCF file, the directory takes precedance.

As for the mod part...even HLDM is considered a Mod (valve directory) so not sure what you are driving at regarding making it easier to join games.
Quote:As for the mod part...even HLDM is considered a Mod (valve directory) so not sure what you are driving at regarding making it easier to join games.

so you could just double click on a ricochet game in steam instead of having to open up HL and go to custom game. Or atleast thats what i had too do to get a fixed steam version. Since ricochet is supported by valve if you just tried to join a game of ricochet without it being a 3rd party mod it would look for the .gcf file...wait...did you put a ricochet folder outside your valve folder so it would be considered a game instead of just a mod? ...its hard for me to put this into words...driving me crazy not being able to test this stuff.

And as for that checksum part with maps, there used to be a counter-strike hack that allowed you to load your own custom maps...so you could take out walls and see through different areas...and youd be suprised how much half-life doesn´t load until it absolutly has too (ie: you couldn´t see player models until they were almost directly in your line of sight). Not sure what im getting at here...just some more useless info i guess.
My ricochet directory is right below my email name along with 'Half-life' and 'counter-strike' so ricochet is a standalone mod and not below valve. Ricochet also has its own .GCF file in the 'SteamApps' directory. This is the way it was created by Steam and although I have replaced my client dll with my WON version and added my own models, sprites, etc. it is essentially the same.

Is this how yours is set up?
So, you replaced the client dll in the ricochet directory as followed,

youremail\ricochet\ricochet\cl_dlls

I, most, tried that, but the client.dll in the folder doesn't get loaded because of the one in the ricochet.gcf

How do you know ther .GCF version gets loaded?
Because when I copied the won client.dll to the cl_dlls folder nothing changed, there was no jump sound unless you put cl_lw 0, and the jumps lagged(dipped) when you went on the arrows.

No evil mine was setup in the valve directory so it wasn´t a standalone game but a mod. So your saying that folders in youremail/<game> get loaded over the .GCF file? if so then i did my steam/ricochet fix probably the hardest way possible. That answers a lot of questions i have...can´t type too much right now since im a little buzzed...16 year old drinking age is godlike.

Miagi - That means only the .GCF is loading and not the directory...look it over again and make sure your client.dll is right one too.
Yeah thats was a reply to evil asking how I figured the .gcf was loading instead of the folder client.dll.

I tried it 3 times, still not working. But to make sure I'm putting it in the right place.

Code:
C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\<email>\ricochet\ricochet\cl_dlls

It would go there. Or in the first ricochet folder?
I tried both ways:(.
&lt;@Miagi&gt; !8 Am I spamming?
&lt;@ChanServ&gt; Miagi: Yes.
&lt;@Miagi&gt; !8 Should I stop?
&lt;@ChanServ&gt; Miagi: Oh, please, PLEASE, make it stop!

dont know...i dont have ricochet or halflife on this machine to be able to help ya/test stuff:(
Heh. Got it to work. I started reading some faq's in steam.
Steam FAQ

It said exactly what evil_admin stated.

I looked at the client.dll again, it was 428KB.

I figured maybe steam is overwriting the .dll so I downloaded pique's ricochet zip, took out the client.dll and replaced it in the cl_dll's. Right clicked it, went to properties, and set it to read only.

Started steam, joined vads through steam ricochet and bingo, it was the won client.dll so it worked.

Decided to see if I was right about steam overwriting the client.dll, I unchecked read only and joined a server. It went back to the steam client.dll. Went back to the client.dll and it was modified as soon as I joined the server.

So... Copy your client.dll from your won folder, or get piques ricochet and take out the client.dll and place it in your SteamApps\&lt;your email&gt;\ricochet\ricochet/cl_dll folder and right click it, choose properties, check read-only, go back Steam\SteamApps folder and rename your old ricochet.gcf/whatever you renamed it to before, to ricochet.gcf and restart steam.

- I cant use the Won ricochet client.dll(428Ko) : the game doesnt start and it come back to the desktop. I can use my won ricochet directory but i have to use the steam client.dll(420Ko). Its true for:
SteamApps\my account\ricochet\ricochet/cl_dll and
SteamApps\my account\Half-Life\ricochet/cl_dll

-If i rename ricochet.gcf and run steam,and right click on ricochet,properties: it say &quot;game not ready&quot;. and steam download it if i run the game.

For me the jump lag is fix but i wonder why i cant do the same as you.

-I can run Ricochet in my 'other games&quot;

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

in Options do you have this ?

or this one ?

I have the last one you posted, except I don't have ricochet installed in 'other games'.

I have the client.dll in the folder steam created.

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\&lt;your account&gt;\ricochet\ricochet\cl_dlls

I meant rename the .gcf if you renamed it from doing the won ricochet fix. It should be ricochet.gcf and when you restart steam you should be able to just double click it and play.

Not sure why steam crashes on you if you use the ricochet won client.dll. Might be from different language or maybe the dll is corrupt.

But your jump lag is fixed without having the won dll in cl_dlls?

Quote:maybe the dll is corrupt.

same problem with Pique client.dll

Quote:But your jump lag is fixed without having the won dll in cl_dlls?

Yes! but i have other lag ,its not fluid like Won but more playable than at the start